Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Teaching composition

It is hard to find a balance between teaching content and skills in first year writing. Part of me is really reluctant to require content memorization (via testing) in a writing class, but part of me is really noticing that workshopping does not fill all the time I need to fill. I am planning to try some different ideas for groupwork, but I guess the best way to start is with forms for students doing peer work (http://www.mwp.hawaii.edu/resources/wm7.htm). I have always given students questions to answer, but this year I think I will type them out as a worksheet.

I am not comfortable lecturing. Not at all. I much prefer to lead discussion. I am more of a facilitator than a lecturer. I am sure that comes from my background in literature.

2 comments:

Tim Sisk said...

hey, you! i wish you'd update this thing more :-)

Laura said...

Me too.