Friday, January 04, 2013

An Unproductive Day

All I really accomplished today was cooking dinner. I sat on the couch with my dh and watched home decorating shows, pretty much til he went to his doctor's appointment at 4. When he got home, I made dinner and we watched four episodes of Justified Season 3.

Justified may be my favorite series that is on the air right now. Harlen County reminds me a lot of Newton County. Not that we have that much crime, of course, but similar kinds of crime. Meth. Oxys. Stolen property. Weed. I like that the characters are nuanced. The hero is not all good; the villain is not all bad (and he speaks in beautiful King James-influenced English. Raylen has family problems. His father is involved with criminal enterprises, which causes Raylen no end of grief. Again, I can see how he must feel. I have some cousins who just can't seem to stay out of trouble with the law.

Our Liv is growing up. She's ten now, and seems to be destined to cause us grief. She is a drama queen. Where did all this drama come from? Also, she's popular. When I told her that I didn't know what to think about her being popular because I wasn't, she said, "Oh, did you like the friends you had?" Really?

In Heathers, I would have been Veronica. Shoot, I might have even been Martha (I was really pudgy in junior high). Liv might be a Heather, or at least one of the group who surrounded them. One of the group that JT wanted to eliminate. (Well, to be fair, he wanted to kill everyone, but he was a sociopath.) I guess I'll handle her the way I did the others: one crisis at a time, one joy at a time, one conversation at a time, one day at a time.

The thing about Liv is she's smart. She reads on, like, and 11th grade level, except it is a lexile level, which is slightly different from an actual reading level, except it isn't. Anyway, for a 5th grader, that is pretty good. But she doesn't always think clearly. I guess a lot of kids don't. I'm just not used to my kids not thinking. Mea over thinks everything. W thinks about how events can benefit him, or at least about how he can gain control of a situation. Like Mea, I overthink everything. Dh thinks, but sometimes his thought process is not obvious to me. But he *thinks*. But Liv? She floats. Floats and acts. This is foreign to me.

One of my friends posted on Facebook asking for a reading list for her son. For *life*. He is a bit squirrely, like Liv. Maybe I should make her read the list: Caves of Steel and I, Robot by Asimov, Have Space Suit, Will Travel by Heinlein, Ender's Game by Card, The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander,
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Adams, Ready Player One by Cline, Hamlet, Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury, The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter, The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho, My Side of the Mountain by George. Hmmm....




2 comments:

bill said...

Is this Justified a TV series or something you have taped at some time? What is it, if I may asked? Good blog.

Laura said...

Thanks, Bill!

Yes, Justified is a tv series on FX. We record it faithfully. I think Amazon has it available for streaming, though. I highly recommend it.