Saturday, October 06, 2007

Home Improvement

Not the television show, but my life. Our toilet started hemorrhaging water last week, so we had to replace it. We wanted to replace the bathtub that had the big (filled) crack in it that felt like it was falling through the floor. We wanted to do that while the toilet was out.

So we did. The bathroom is still in pieces as we try to get a 60 in tub in a 60.5 in slot. That is what we have been doing all day. I cleaned (and bleached) the area under the tub because the old tub had been leaking so there was mold. Lots of mold. Dad came to help, which was a god-send. We really could not have done this without him (at least partially because Todd was temperamental and I was just mental by the end of the day.)

We got a lovely cast iron tub, but the problem, of course, is that it weighs 300 lbs.

My son just came dancing through the house singing, "It's in! It's in! It's in, in, in!" so I am guessing that is it in...

Just went and looked at the tub. The bathroom is shaping up to look really nice. We splurged a little on the fixtures (not that we went crazy, we bought like the second cheapest thing instead of the dead cheapest). Of course, the new fixtures look so pretty that I think we need new flooring... And new faucets would be nice, too.

Truthfully, I am just excited that the toilet will flush without having to hold the handle down. And that nothing leaks. I am not so excited about having to tile the surround. Anyway, there is still work to do, so I am off.

2 comments:

Tim Sisk said...

see, the 20th century isn't all that bad!

i hope things are going well for you, dear laura! things are grrreat in knoxville. grad school is so intellectually energizing. remind me of my enthusiasm come the end of novemeber when i'm freaking out about seminar papers!

Tim Sisk said...

it's not a big deal about my mom and her husband. i want her to divorce him because she's been unhappy in her marriage for quite a few years. he also has so much personal credit card debt that they have to divorce so he can sign the house over to her and file for bankruptcy.

can you tell me why a 48-year-old man with so much to lose would rack up so much credit card debt? it's beyond me.