Monday, May 29, 2006

Websites I read...

Today, through a number of links, I stumbled across A Brief Genealogy of Cultural Resonance, Science Ficiton, and Technology. Kelly Saxman has put together a short website exploring the influence of Orwell's 1984 on GUI interface design, depersonalization, and embodiement of intelligence. It has the film that Ridley Scott directed introcuding the launch of the Macintosh.

I also found PhD Comics, which are really funny. I think I need some ProcrastinX!

Also, remember back in the 80s when Newsweek ran the story that said: "40-year-old single woman was 'more likely to be killed by a terrorist' than to ever marry"? Well, they recanted.

Linked to the above article was this blog: Academics_anon. Their description says: "This is a community that caters to people involved in (or recovering from) higher education. It probably has an attitude problem." They discuss some of the things that go on in my life, like faculty meetings.

Today, we have spent a lot of time talking about what, acutally, I will be able to do with my PhD. Their website says that graduates will be prepared for: "leadership roles in technical and professional communication, composition instruction and administration, and software development."

No comments: