Monday, June 16, 2008

Disappointment

Neil Gaiman won't be coming to Tulsa. Evidently my tickets will be refunded.

And the only people who have looked at my house (so far) can't really afford it. (In the multilist, it is #10196134). And, turns out, real estate has been slower this June than normal.

Disappointing.

On the up side, we went to Branson yesterday to take the kids to Silver Dollar City to celebrate surviving putting the house on the market. After the kids rode the rides for a couple of hours, we went to Bass. And Bass was having a sale. I got a couple pair of shoes and two linen dresses and a woven top. I love the dresses. They will be nice and cool this summer. And they were 70% off. And Todd got some shoes, too. But they are boy shoes and much less interesting. So that was lovely. And then we ate in Harrison and then we came home.

Actually, only some of us came home. Mea went to church camp. AG church camp. That just makes me smile a little bit. Her grandparents sent her. I don't think I could have gotten her there with a cattle prod. Why? You may well ask. For one thing, their website is terrible. For another, their rules are restrictive. Here is a sample from their application:
Multi-media players, firearms, knives, weapons, communicative devices or clothing and other articles displaying questionable content are NOT allowed.

Cell phones are not allowed. Students caught using cell phones will have their phones confiscated until checkout on Friday. The AR DISTRICT will not be responsible for lost or stolen cell phones.

DRESS CODE -
  • ALL CLOTHING MUST BE NO SHORTER THAN 2” ABOVE THE KNEE.
  • Shorts can be worn during the day. Absolutely NO spandex shorts, boxer shorts, or shorts shorter than 2” above the knee.
  • Abbreviated attire such as half shirts, tank tops, sundresses, spaghetti straps or crop shirts will not be allowed, and should be left at home.
  • Shirts and dresses that have ANY part of the back missing will not be allowed. NO oversized armholes or sides cut out of shirts.
  • Tight fitting clothing (pants and shirts) should be left at home. If you bring it, you will be asked to change. ALL CLOTHING MUST BE MODEST.
  • Shoes must be worn at all times. Shoes that cover the whole foot must be worn while riding go-carts.
  • For evening services, young ladies may wear modest dresses or long pants. Young men must wear long pants (this means clean and with no holes in them) and a shirt. Absolutely no shorts for evening services!
  • If in doubt, DON’T BRING IT!
Mea dresses pretty modestly for a 15 year old, but these rules may hearken back to 1955... We had to go shopping so that she would have some shorts that she could wear.

Actually, the dress code is less restrictive that when I attended in the 80s. Back then, shorts were verboten, but we could wear culottes. My mother, who only sews under extreme duress made me culottes because she could not stand the thought of sending me to Hot Springs in the summer in jeans. They were terrible, but I was sent back to my room to change one day because they were too short! So someone had something wrong with them, and I am pretty sure that it was not my mother. Ah, they joys of religious education.

And W? He is hiding out at Mom's. He had no desire to come home and not mess up his room.

2 comments:

Tim Sisk said...

I don't feel like a real southerner because I never went to church camp. As a teenager, I was too busy reading books and kissing a boy and doing academic summer programs for that kind of stuff, most of which behind momma and daddy's backs. Well, they knew about HOBY Youth Leadership and Governor's School.

Laura, what are you going to do when she comes back speaking in tongues? :-P

Laura said...

If she is happy speaking in tongues, I am happy to let her. As long as I don't have to switch churches to do so. There are worse things, I suppose, that being so caught up in the divine as to lose command of English.

I can't say that you have missed a lot by not going to church camp. I don't have especially fond memories of it. Lots of petty girls and not enough kissing boys (as in *no* kissing boys, but I was young).

I went to HOBY as well. A million years after you did, of course. I loved it. I loved all that kind of stuff. I was (and am) such a little nerd.