Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Random Blathering

So my life is so completely lame. I am trying to think of something to write about, and all I can think of is what is on television-- Friends. The one where the girls lose the apartment.

Mea is sick today-- we are hoping that it is *not* strep. Especially since strep means that I have to do her wretched babysitting job.

Today is my spring break. No class today, but I do have to get my research project started. I now have IRB clearance from two institutions. That is a lot of IRB.

We are doing professional development to get ready for our assessment program. It is really going pretty well, but it is tiring. More tomorrow (along with my regularly scheduled class load), and on Thursday.

On another subject...
My children are seriously lacking in the 80s-90s movie department. I discovered a couple of weeks ago that Mea had never seen Wayne's World. Or Weekend at Bernie's. Or Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. She (and W) are seriously missing out on the whole... understanding of the popular culture that has shaped my understanding of reality. They get the music, so I am not completely isolated in my home. (Actually, Mea introduced me to Bauhaus-- how wrong is that??) So on movies, I educate them, one movie at a time.

Feel free to give me some ideas for 1980-1995 movies to share with teen aged children.

3 comments:

Monda said...

Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club, Say Anything, Ferris Bueller, and Sixteen Candles. After that, The Color Purple, Footloose, Flashdance, Jurassic Park, and Dead Poet's Society.

If you're very brave - or when they're old enough - American History X. I've always believed that one should be required viewing for high school boys.

Laura said...

Pretty in Pink and Ferris Bueller So I guess they are not totally devoid of culture ; ). (Just mostly).

Tim Sisk said...

Dagnabbit! Monda stole ALL of my ideas. Here are some others from the early to mid-nineties that are must sees:

Dazed and Confused, Empire Records, Clueless, Mall Rats, and Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Some rarer 80s movies I *love* are Vision Quest (Matthew Modine is a dreamboat and it has Madonna's first ever film appearance!) and Mystic Pizza--Julia Roberts, way better than Pretty Woman. But they should see Pretty Woman.