Monday, July 09, 2007

Class Day One

The sweetest woman picked me up from the airport. She lives in Virginia Beach, so I am pretty sure that it took her a while to get there. She is just the nicest person I have met in a while. She picked me up, made me a goody bag, brought me to the dorm, helped me carry up my stuff, and then drove me to a Mexican place for dinner. Then she took me back to the dorm, where I ran into my first problem.


Vital information that I needed, but didn't get: how to set up my wireless. So I was without internet from Saturday evening until this morning. Aarg. So I had no access to maps or anything, which means that I didn't get to go to church-- couldn't find one.


My room, though, is fabulous. I have a small bedroom, and my own bathroom. I am sharing a living room with Leslie, and Mimi is next door. Leslie and I went out to dinner last night, then she took me to the grocery store. So now I have water and instant coffee and cereal and milk-- the vital stuff of life.


We talked about ideologies of the standard language myth in sociolinguistics this morning. I am still torn about this. I teach code-switching in my classes. It is lovely to say that no one should give up their accents, but really, how seriously would I be taken with my "original" accent? And I found out my prof is a year younger than I am.


In my second class, we are learning to use Photoshop CS2, which is okay. This is a nice review.




No comments: