Thursday, December 07, 2006

Orality

Cosmic Thoughts was reading Ong and reflecting...

I am still working through Ong and applying his work to Randolph's. And the thing that drives me to distraction is that I *really* need to see Randolph's transcripts. I need to see *exactly* what his informants said... I need to *hear* the recordings (when they exist). For far too many of the stories, Randolph relies on his memory and his own mid-west dialect instead of what the informants actually said.

So how can I know if they are copious or use formulaic language???

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm behind on *everything* (including moderating comments). Sorry it took so long to approve your comment, Peggy S.

I have to agree with you that Ong is really interesting. I read about a bazillion books this semester, but Ong really resonated with me.